E3 2012: Wii U specs confirmed
Nintendo has released final specifications for its console following its E3 2012 conference yesterday, though it hasn't gone into detail on exact component performance. The full details are below, but for impressions of what it's actually like in action, read our Wii-U hands-on.
- Dimensions: 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.
- Weight: 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg).
- CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core processor.
- GPU: AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
- Storage: Internal flash memory. Also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.
- Media: Wii U and Wii proprietary optical discs. Most Wii games will be compatible.
- Networking: Wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n), plus four USB 2.0 connectors for LAN Adapters.
- Audio Output: Six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via AV Multi Out connector.
- Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i.
- Wii U GamePad: 6.2-inch, 16:9 LCD touch screen, twin analog sticks, D-pad, L/R analog sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. Accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic motion control, front-facing camera, microphone, stereo speakers, rumble and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. NFC allows for wireless communication with objects held above, or placed on, the GamePad.
As confirmed at Nintendo's E3 2012 conference yesterday, the Wii U now supports up to two GamePads and up to four Wii Remotes or Wii U Pro controllers plus most other Wii accesories.