Nintendo to reveal Super Mario Wii U game at E3
Nintendo is to announce a new Super Mario Bros. game for Wii U at E3 in June.
Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto first revealed the plan to Spanish paper El Mundo, which interviewed the talismanic designer last week while he was in Paris to promote the new 3DS tour guide at the Louvre.
In a follow-up statement issued to Eurogamer, a Nintendo spokesperson said: "In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii U system will be shown at this year's E3 Expo. We'll have more to announce about our plans for the E3 Expo at a later date."
Miyamoto is quoted as telling El Mundo: "I'm working on several projects but I think that I cannot talk about them all. Some are small but important projects for Wii U. Also on a new Pikmin, which will take advantage of the new HD screen resolution, and on Luigi's Mansion for 3DS."
A Wii U Mario tech demo featuring four players in side-scrolling levels was shown off at E3 2011. It enabled users to take control of their Mii avatar while playing alongside Mario, although Nintendo stressed it was just a prototype and not an actual product in development.
The platform holder recently registered a domain for 'supermario4.com', which may or may not be related to the Wii U Mario game, or to the 2D 3DS side-scrolling Super Mario title announced by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in January, which is set for release in the current financial year ending March 31, 2013.
Last week Miyamoto told us he would like to make a new Legend Of Zelda game "based on, or starting from" SNES classic A Link To The Past, and that Angry Birds is his favourite game of the past year.